Old 25-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Christopher Green

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:22:33 GMT, "DavidPT40"
wrote:

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Thanks

Apples grown from seed -- if you get them to sprout; some are sterile
-- will not breed true. If you succeed, you will end up with a large
cumbersome tree that will take several years to come into production,
and the most likely outcome is that it will produce useless crab
apples.

If you want apples in a hurry, go to a nursery as soon as bare-root
apples are available in your area, and get a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree
of a variety you like. (Especially if your neighbors do not grow
apples, get two trees, as you get a better crop when different
varieties cross-pollinate.)

--
Chris Green