Old 25-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Kelly Paul Graham

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
Someone wrote:

Jason Quick wrote:
"HPBudlong" wrote :

I was checking into using "water crystals" in my organic garden

because
being
in Zone 9, we need to retain as much moisture as possible in the soil.

A British company suggested that I use "Seaweed meal", i.e. ground up
seaweed,
as this would help retain water in the soil. I see this is being used

lot on
England, but can only find liquid seaweed or kelp here.

Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff? Where can I get

some
in
the US, prefereably Los Angeles area.

Dunno about LA specifically, but doing a Google search for "kelp meal"
(include the quotes) yields plenty of mail-order sources for kelp

meal.
I'd imagine that calling local garden shops would get you some

positive
hits
as well.

Jason

is the salt taken out?

It would HAVE to be!
Or so I'd think?
--

Not necessarily,

Besides (maybe) drying the seaweed, did the Irish, Scots, and any
other
coastal people who used it, process the seaweed before adding it as manure?

My mother years ago worked for someone who loved to fish! And, every
now and then, we'd get the fish he caught (mainly seatrout, I think). One
time, the
fish developed freezer-burn, so I chopped the fish up- not wanting to waste
it-
and buried it into my peppers! That was the best pepper-crop I had

And, forr an even SALTIER tale, I once saw canteloupe vines growing
below the window of a fishing camp less than a mile from the seashore! They
were growing in a mound of oyster shells and dirt.. with the salty air all
around
them!

My guess? Certsin crops can take certain amounts of- at least- sea
salt.

K.P. Graham