Old 26-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Treedweller

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Steve Ravet
wrote:

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log1.jpg
ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log2.jpg

It has thick heavy bark and a reddish color when split. Can someone
tell me what kind of wood it is?

thanks,
--steve

It looks more like mesquite to me. I have a lot of it that I
collected because it is a prized barbecue wood, but never found any
takers (don't do much bbq tofu here). Once I carved and polished it,
I regretted cutting it up so much before seasoning it and letting it
go so far south before dragging it out of the pile. Nice, fat sticks
would split ot and make nice hand carvings, but nothing larger is
salvageable as far as I can tell, and most of it is completely rotten.

kj