Old 26-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Robert Chambers

They also grow well over old landfill dump areas. When I was a kid I
used to collect old bottles and an area of Elderberry trees used to be a
good clue to there having been an old dump in that area.

The berries can be used to make wine although I've never tried it. And
of course those familiar with Monty Python's Holy Grail will know that
it's part of the Frenchmans taunt.

David J Bockman wrote:

It's tough to keep neat, tending to form massive, unkempt colonies.
Nevertheless, those fruits sure are prized by a wide variety of wildlife,
and I think it's gorgeous in flower. They tend to do best in wet areas.

Dave

"Allview" wrote in message

In November I had a big spruce tree cut down and replaced it with a lot of
topsoil and whatever dormant bushes I could find at the local nurseries.

always intended to plant bushes for the birds but could find no berry

bushes.

Guess the birds will appreciate the cover. There is a large space at one

end

of this new garden and I would like to plant an elderberry as soon as I

can.

Will I be sorry? Do nursery grown elderberry bushes thrive? I have lots

of

space for it to spread. Is it a good idea or not? Sunny location.

Marilyn in Ohio (zone 5/6)