Old 26-12-2004, 05:44 PM
MLEBLANCA

There is a large space at one end
of this new garden and I would like to plant an elderberry as soon as I can.
Will I be sorry? Do nursery grown elderberry bushes thrive? I have lots of
space for it to spread. Is it a good idea or not? Sunny location.

Marilyn in Ohio (zone 5/6)

Marilyln

American Elderberry, Sambucus canadensis: spreading, suckering to 12 ft tall
and wide. rampant, fast growing, wild looking. Treat as you would a fast
growing spirea: prune hard during dormant season, cut out older and strems
and head back last year's growth to a few inches. Overgrown plants can be cut
back to the ground.
There is a cultivar available now that has dark purple foliage, very pretty,
(and probably very expensive!)
Emilie