Old 27-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Mytag

Default MH Lighting question

Hi, I have a 48"X18"X12" heavily planted tank. At present I am running a
150watt MH light with two single 30watt fluros.
The MH is apparently 5500K and the two fluros are 6000k each.
What I would like to know is if I go to a higher rated Kelvin for the MH
will it affect the plants too greatly? And what rating do people suggest?
The 5500K MH throws off a yellowish/ orange colour and Id like to have a
more whiter colour in the tank, as it sometimes looks like the plants are
growing in pee!!! (LOL... I hear you!)
I know a lot of people do not like MH, mainly because of the heat, but the
tank is well ventilated and I like the point-of- light effect that you get
with MH. I am running CO2 also (so only the slightest ripple on the surface)
The plants I have are all growing well.
Thankyou in advance.
Michael