Old 27-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Pam - gardengal

"HPBudlong" wrote in message
The idea was that the seaweed meal somehow had better water retention
capabilities than home grown compost. In So Cal, we sometimes have no

rain
between February and October and little in those months. We need all the

help
we can get to keep water in the soil so be able to grow plants without

enormous
water bills.

Helen

Articles do indicate that seaweed or kelp meal (ground Ascophyllum nodosum)
acts as a natural humectant in addition to having other plant benefits such
as assorted trace elements and nutrient content, but it is unclear as to the
degree of water retention it can provide solely as opposed to inclusion of
other organic matter, such as compost. I'd venture to guess that one would
need a considerable amount to achieve the same moisture retention that
compost or other quality organic matter does and at a far less cost.

Gathering and drying the kelp or seaweed yourself would certainly
reduce/eliminate the cost factor and you could get a significant quantity,
but I'd still consider adding it to your compost to maxmize its usage.

pam - gardengal