Old 27-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Stephen Henning

"Allview" wrote:
In November I had a big spruce tree cut down and replaced it with a lot of
topsoil and whatever dormant bushes I could find at the local nurseries.
I always intended to plant bushes for the birds but could find no berry
bushes.
Marilyn in Ohio (zone 5/6)

My experience is with wild elderberry. We enjoy it very much and so do
the birds. We also planted mahonia, red twig dogwood and yellow twig
dogwood for the birds. One plant that is often overlooked for birds is
Bradford Pear. We have 3 Bradford Pear trees. They stay relatively
small and are covered with thousands of cherry size pears in the fall
when the leaves fall off. After they go through a freeze, the birds
love them.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman