Old 27-12-2004, 05:50 PM

In message , EDUPSHAW
writes
I have been told by "locals" here at the coast that the salt will leach out of
the seaweed without harming the plants. I gather sea grass from the shore and
from a public boa tramp and then add it to my compost pile. I usually soak it
and rinse it first but have not noticed any harm to the grass where I soak it.

In Brittany there is an enormous build-up of seaweed on some beaches. In
summer it starts to rot and smells worse than a sewage works. It also
provides a breeding ground for millions of flies. From time to time they
load it onto lorries and spread it across the nearby arable fields,
without any sort of treatment. Some of the salt may have been leached
out by rainfall, but I imagine there is still quite a bit remaining. The
crops always look good so it can't be doing much harm.
--
Graham