Old 27-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Rob Halgren

Well, I've installed the 2 400 watt mh lights and I don't think I'll need any
supplementary lighting afterall. Checked with a light meter and I'm getting 4x
the light I was with 1 400w mh and a generic ballast. Maximum foot candles has
gone from 2000 to 8000! Happily none of the plants are showing signs of burning.
That did happen when I went from fluorescent tubes to the HID lite.

Check again in a few weeks, it will drop a significant amount. Not
so much that you need to worry about it, but the bulbs do have an
initial burn in period (like fluorescent tubes). It will still be
plenty bright in there. If you check with the meter every couple of
months, you will see a gradual decline after that initial sharp drop.
Eventually the bulbs will burn out. But I wouldn't worry too much
about it. If you replace the bulbs at staggered intervals (they won't
burn out at the same time), you won't have as much of a shock as you did
when you first put your plants under the new system.

Also found I don't need a heater either. Was using a ceramic heater to get 81F
daytime. With the lights the heat increases over the length of time they're on
ending at about 91F. The Coryanthes are happy. Maintaining humidity looks like
the challenge now. 'Till summer comes...

That is a fortunate (or unfortunate) side effect of the big lights.
For some systems (Hydrofarm, for sure) you can get manufacturer designed
powered venting. Like dryer vents with a fan... Makes it look more
space-agey in your basement. Remote ballasts help too, if your cord is
long enough to reach outside the plant room. I've not had a problem
with excess heat in the several years that I've had my current setup,
due to the location of the room in the basement. But if you are getting
up to 91F in the winter with your setup, you will want to consider
venting some of that heat out of there. Be creative, a dryer vent and a
muffin fan will solve a lot of problems....

I'm quite happy with my little Jaybird Fogger... It is hooked up to
my RO system, and spins water into the air centrifugally. Makes a
really fine mist. RO water is best, otherwise you will end up with
powder all over your plants. I got mine used, but they aren't terribly
expensive (compared to the lights and plants). Get a humidistat too. I
really enjoyed working with that company when I needed some spare parts.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )