Old 28-12-2004, 03:49 AM

salt levels in tap water do not exceed 0.1% (at least I havent heard of it.. mostly
they are in the 0.06% range). For people with sick fish waiting around to get the
proper test kits is not what I consider prudent. as long as the gills are OK the
salt can be run up to 0.3% for a couple days, so a mere 1 teaspoon of salt per 5
gallons is really not going to drive the salt level excessively high. from 3 can be
done safely without getting the water parameters, adding a bit of salt is safe
without a test kits as long as the gills are healthy red. Ingrid

EMERGENCY
1. check the water parameters: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates
2. do the fish physical
3. change some or all of the water
4. from the water parameters and physical decide on a course of action
5. if there is nothing specific, do the tub to tub method

This is a perfect example of the dangers of salt. Two posts, similar
instructions, but way different numbers, and NEITHER post suggests checking
the current salinity before adding more salt. Suppose this fish is dieing
from the salinity being high?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com