Old 28-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Dave Bell

mel turner wrote:
"Dave Bell" wrote in message

Can anyone help me ID this plant I have growing in abundance, right now?
Northern California, San Jose area. Thriving amidst dandelion, oxalis,
and others...

http://www.zippyimages.com/files/2598/Herb_20041226.jpg

Thanks!

Your picture is a mix of two species. The compound leaves at the
left and the right are from an entirely different plant from the
flowering shoot in the center. The leaves are likely to be
from an _Erodium_ species [a member of the geranium family];
the flowering shoot is from _Senecio vulgaris_.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/argaud/botan..._vulgaris.html
http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st..._118_small.jpg
http://jardin-mundani.info/compositae/senecio.jpg

http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/an...es/geran02.jpg
http://www.weedinfo.com.au/wd_ermos.html
http://jardin-mundani.com/geraniacea...mmoschatum.jpg

Both of your plants are weeds of European origin that do often
grow in abundance in California.

regards

Thanks, Mel - I had come to the same conclusion, that the leaf pics were
from a different plant. If the rain lets up a bit tomorrow, I am going
to dig in there and separate out complete plants. They're very packed
together, as it is!

Dave