Old 28-12-2004, 10:52 PM
David Cleland

I am in Northern Ireland - so that won't be much help to many I have
flatted the foot prints as best I can. It was good top soil and it was only
put down in Sept and although is visibly green it is not at all dense.

Around the edges are pretty solid so I am hoping this will move towards the
center rather than it being soft for life.

The grass is not strong yet and the impression I am getting from your
replies is that the roots may sort things out in the spring?

I think I will leave it until April time and if it is not settled I will get
the gardener back -we did pay for the lawn and if we are left with something
the kids can not play on we need to get them back for re-evaluation.

I have so much to learn........

David

Sounds like the subsoil hasn't been compacted. Probably very good quality
topsoil with a lot of organic matter. As was said before, watch for excess
settling. You might try rolling it. If you left impressions just from
walking on it, I think you need a good experienced turf dude to look at
and evaluate the lawn. I've seen and repaired situations where the soil
settled up to a foot in a year. Depends on the subsoil structure. What
part of the country are you in?