Old 28-12-2004, 05:08 PM

http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jaco...olfactres.html
it is called habituation, basically our smell receptors get saturated and the brain
turns them off for that smell, the receptors wont fire again for a while.
the rose is continually putting out the odor has nothing to do with being smelled or
not smelled by humans. Ingrid

"whatever" wrote:

Hello. I wonder if anyone can answer a possibly dumb question - it's a
matter of settling a dispute. Does a frequently sniffed flower have
less
fragrance than one that is not sniffed? A friend of mine insists that
roses at a convenient height for smelling always smell less intense
than
ones that you have to go out of your way to smell. He thinks that with
each sniff, some of the fragrance disappears and is not replaced. I
don't
agree. If anyone has any knowledge (or even an opinion) about this, I'd
be interested in hearing it. Thanks in advance.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.