Old 28-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Travis

escape wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:54:57 GMT, "Travis"
opined:

Pam - gardengal wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
escape wrote:
If you want to get technical, fungal based mulch is best for
trees and shrubs and bacterial based mulch is best for
perennials.

What the hell is fungal based mulch?
What the hell is bacterial based mulch?

These terms are typically used in reference to compost
specifically but can be extrapolated to include other organic
mulches as well. Compost that is high in greens or animal manures
tend to be more highly populated with beneficial bacterial
organisms than those with higher woody content, which tend to be
more fungal populated in nature. Therefore, finished compost or
composted manures tend to be better for perennials, annuals and
vegetable crops and woody mulches (bark, pine straw, wood chips)
tend to be better for trees and shrubs.

pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam. I always learn something from you.

I just mulched most of my backyard with free wood chips from a tree
service. First I killed the grass (not lawn) with RoundUp and then
applied the chips. My intent is to have the water (rain and
supplemental) go mostly to my bamboo's, trees and shrubs and not
the grass. For the most part the chips are 3 inches deep. I hope
for more chips so I can cover the whole yard.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Actually, you learned it from me, but didn't look it up and Pam
told you what it was. Roundup can kill trees and shrubs. I hope
you didn't get any on them.

I Googled "fungal mulch" and didn't see anything.

I know how to use RoundUp.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5