Old 28-12-2004, 05:00 PM

there are some "additives" cannot hurt unless done way to excess. when fish are in
trouble and people dont have the "kits", adding a bit of salt, some dolomitic
limestone (if the water is soft) or aeration cannot hurt. just like there is no
downside to doing water changes. Anybody with really high salts is going to know it.
an extra teaspoon per 5 gallons is not going to be significant.
people with chronic problems with their fish are advised to have a complete kit
including salt test kit. it is rare people have a problem with too high salt, the
only ones I have heard about are those in specific places in the US who have water
softeners AND the Na levels are off scale. Very rare. OK.. maybe somebody building a
pond on the Utah salt flats.
I only recommend moderate salt use 0.1% or less, I do not even recommend 0.3% for
"treatment" which I think is high and excessive and difficult to get out of the pond
fast if the fish are reacting badly.

I dont know what a build up of neutrinos is as it applies to ponds.

INgrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
My point is that recommending the usage of an additive for a pond or tank is
dangerous without first measuring the level of that additive in the water.
Suppose the OP is a newb, and was told to add a teaspoon of salt to his tank
everyday to help reduce a build up of nuetrinos in is active carbon filter
media? At this point, his fish are dieing because they are living in a
concentration of salt that would kill even the strongest potato chip. Then
they come on here and say my fish looks sick, what should I do? Several
people respond ADD SALT!!!

I am not saying salt has NO place, but like any additive, it needs to be
tempered, and I see very little tempering of salt.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.