Old 28-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
there are some "additives" cannot hurt unless done way to excess.

Salt being one of them.

when fish are in
trouble and people dont have the "kits", adding a bit of salt, some

dolomitic
limestone (if the water is soft) or aeration cannot hurt. just like there

is no
downside to doing water changes.

Water changes without proper dechlor can be very dangerous. So again my
point is made. Recommending any sort of treatment without proper supporting
information is dangerous. Telling a newb to do a 50% water change without
mentioning dechlor is as dangerous as saying add some salt.

Anybody with really high salts is going to know it.

I think that is a bad assumption, especially when it is common to see posts
like, "My fish look funny, so I added some salt. Will this help?"

an extra teaspoon per 5 gallons is not going to be significant.

It's not the amount I am concerned with, but the wholesale recommendation to
add it without fore knowledge of conditions.

people with chronic problems with their fish are advised to have a

complete kit
including salt test kit.

I think that is good advice for all pond owners, whether the people have
chronic problems or not.

it is rare people have a problem with too high salt, the
only ones I have heard about are those in specific places in the US who

have water
softeners AND the Na levels are off scale. Very rare. OK.. maybe somebody

building a
pond on the Utah salt flats.
I only recommend moderate salt use 0.1% or less, I do not even recommend

0.3% for
"treatment" which I think is high and excessive and difficult to get out

of the pond
fast if the fish are reacting badly.

I dont know what a build up of neutrinos is as it applies to ponds.

snip

A bit of humor, that's all.

--
BV