Old 29-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Sacha

On 28/12/04 23:28, in article , "Janet
Galpin" wrote:
snip
Yes, I have Hellebores out but no signs of daffs or snowdrops. I would
really like to understand how a garden can be earlier than others for
some things and well later for others. (South Lincolnshire - nowhere
near Cornwall)
Lonicera x purpusii doing very well - and Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles'

Janet G

It's probably (possibly?) all on a par with what plants actually will
tolerate or enjoy, as opposed to what we *think* is the case from received
wisdom. After all, the first Camellias brought to Britain were thought to
need greenhouse care in the west country, I believe. We have a Gordonia
axillaris in this garden which my husband is repeatedly told will not
survive outdoors but somehow, this one manages it even when the temp has
gone to -5 or less. The 'bible' says it will go to -3 at best. It it's
possible to take cuttings or not to worry too much about replacing a plant,
then it's interesting to push the envelope a bit with all sorts of things
and see what makes it. So far, we've had -3 at night but the Dicksonia
antarctica opposite this office window is perfectly happy and healthy, as
are its fellows in other parts of this garden, yet again, 'the bible' gives
0 as its tolerance.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk