Old 30-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Bill Mackey

Mike LaMana wrote:

Bill/ David: I am wondering if the green fruits are full sized, or aborted?
pH is often a culprit, true, but I have seen the most dramatic fruit set in
opaca in full blasting sunshine in amenity settings, even though in nature
the tree is well adapted to partial shade.

So...are the green fruits the same size as the red fruits? Is the opaca a
cultivar to the best of your knowledge? Where on the globe are you? Are
there native opaca in your area? Has the soil been tested for pH, etc??

The fruit in years past was ripe over the entire tree. This year's
fruit was fully developed though not fully ripened. None of the fruit
is stunted. Incidentally, the tree is in full sun and judging by its
height and girth is in good health. I am located in SE PA. The soils in
this part of the state are a rich loam. The lawn runs under the tree
and I am wondering if the tree is taking in a lot of nitrogen in the
lawn fertilizer for leaf growth and not enough potassium for fruit
production.