Old 30-12-2004, 09:31 PM
John Bachman

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:10:35 -0500, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

John Thomas wrote:

Maybe those idiots will finally install some detection equipment.

As I understand it, the project is underway, but will not be active
until sometime in 2005.

If you are referring to a tsunami detection system in the Indian Ocean
I understand that there are no plans but it is being discussed now.
The issue is that this is an expensive system to detect an event that
has not occurred in recent history (until last Sunday).

Developing countries are not inclined to spend big sums to protect
against such remote threats. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
In fact, it is logical. Unfortunately, logic does not control natural
events and thus disasters happen.

Hysterical demands "to do something" invariably result in a waste of
scarce resources.

Similarly, there is no Atlantic Ocean system to protect the eastern US
coast. There are no "big" fault zones in the Atlantic like those that
exist in the Pacific, hence a reduced, but non-zero, tsunami threat.
At least, that is what the scientists say. I expect that will also be
subject to renewed debate.

I only hope that a thoughtful debate trumps the political pressure.

Sigh.

John