Old 31-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Mike LaMana

The N-enrichment hypothesis seems reasonable enough, but I am wondering if
there has been another trigger (or lack thereof) that is causing the delay
of red pigmentation in the fruits of this tree. I have seen this delay in
Ilex opaca before, but have never understood the mechanism. Based on your
location and description, I doubt that pH of native soils are the issue
here. I know that there are native opaca in the forests of your area (I have
seen them often). What are these trees doing vis-a-vis fruit maturation this
year??
ML
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

The fruit in years past was ripe over the entire tree. This year's fruit
was fully developed though not fully ripened. None of the fruit is
stunted. Incidentally, the tree is in full sun and judging by its height
and girth is in good health. I am located in SE PA. The soils in this
part of the state are a rich loam. The lawn runs under the tree and I am
wondering if the tree is taking in a lot of nitrogen in the lawn
fertilizer for leaf growth and not enough potassium for fruit production.