Old 31-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Scott L. Hadley

"MG" wrote in message
Hi All

I have a n old apple tree with a nice shape and lovely fruit every
year. But it has aon old split that has become open and rotting out
from the heart of it. Its obviously a very old wound but I'd hate to
lose the tree, so was wondering if there is any 'filler' I could apply
to stop further rot. It faces upwards on a horizontal lower main
branch and as such fills with water and debris.

Also, The squirrels like this tree and clamber all over it and strip
bark off which leads to dead branches. What to do here?

Would it be possible to post a picture showing overall framework of the
apple tree, and possibly a pic or two showing extent of rot on upward facing
branches. The squirrel activity peeling bark puzzles me, so a picture of
that might be nice too, if possible. I've never known squirrels to do this;
I wonder if they're getting at bark already weakened by being near old
wounds.

Whatever finally turns out to be wrong with the tree is probably fixable,
but also probably over a spread of several years pruning sessions in
mid-late winter. Not all at once!

Scott