Old 31-12-2004, 02:10 PM
John Bachman

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:49:37 GMT, wrote:

I have to agree. If they have any schooling at all I cant understand why they dont
1. teach about hazards like earthquakes, tsunami, fires, etc.
2. teach every child to swim.
many of the people drowned because they couldnt swim well enough to a tree or
something between waves. during waves nothing can be done.

Yes, and after every terrorist attack we will teach them how to avoid
terrorist attacks. And after every snow storm we will teach them to
ski. And after every drought we will teach them how to find water.
etc. ad nauseum.

After every disaster the second guessers beginning plying their
skills. But the next disaster is one that they did not think about
and the process repeats.

but I doubt it takes 2 hours. I heard that the warning goes out immediately when
quakes over 5(?) are recorded. they dont wait for an actual tsunami to be seen.
sorta like doppler radar showing "signature" triggers the alarm horns going off.

Such a warning system would quickly be perceived as chicken little and
each subsequent warning would be ignored. Ever been in a mall when
the fire alarm goes off?

The magnitude of the quake is not all telling. Earth quakes are of
two types: side slippage and vertical. A side slipping quake of any
magnitude will not create a tsunami. It takes vertical movement to
produce the wave. Therefore, detecting a quake from afar, which is
easy, is not sufficient. Sensors must be on the site to detect
vertical movement. Those sensors do not exist in the Indian or
Atlantic oceans.

Ingrid

Eyebright wrote:
what i heard was a detection system would take 2 hours to come up with
a warning and since land masses in the indian ocean where much closer
together than in the pacific the wave would hit before or at about the
same time as the warning could be issued....what i also heard was if
you are ever at the coast and the sea suddenly goes out a very long way
for no apparent reason don't call your freinds and family over to come
and look, instead run away very fast.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com