Old 01-01-2005, 06:43 PM

as somebody who is a microbiologist and who started doing grad work in parasitology,
kosher laws are right on with respect to what is wholesome and healthy food. I am
sure it has nothing to do with scientific analysis and everything to do with how
people learn what foods are edible and which arent, and a lot to do with the wisdom
of "old wives" which are much maligned. Ingrid

(Iris Cohen) wrote:

Obviously observation had taught them valuable lessons which were inculcated
in future generations via the mechanism of religion. (I imagine something
similar dictated many of the Jewish dietary laws). BRBR

Actually, not many of the kosher laws are known to stem from health
observations. Ancient people did not have the statistical mechanisms available
today. According to one theory, pigs are not kosher because they were
worshipped by the Egyptians. Recent studies have found that dairy products &
meat eaten together are harder to digest, but the kosher prohibition against
eating milk with meat stems from a line in the Bible: "You shall not boil a kid
in its mother's milk." This is said to be out of respect for the mother goat's
feelings, since you just killed her baby. Poultry was not considered "meat"
until a rabbinic decision in the Seventeenth Century.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.