Old 02-01-2005, 02:26 AM
J Fortuna

I have read somewhere that ladyslippers are the oldest type of orchid, and
that therefore they are in some essential ways different from any other
orchids that evolved differently later -- in other words there are some
characteristics that all other orchids share, but that the ladyslippers do
not have, if I remember correctly. I don't remember the details, but I will
search for the article online and if I find it I will post a link.

I read another article claiming that the closest non-orchid relative of the
orchids is the asparagus (I remember the title of the article was "An Orchid
by Any Other Name: An Asparagus?). I think one of the point was that if you
look at a spike before the buds have formed, you can see the resemblance.
But then I heard someone else say that some other flowering plant family is
a closer relative to the orchids. Was it lilies? I think it was, since
peloric cattleyas without lips look like lilies, and isn't the brassavola
nadosa similar to peace lilies, so I could see how they could be distant
relatives.

Joanna

"Al" wrote in message
Are ladyslippers in the orchid family?