Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Katra

In article ,
Willie Buck Merle wrote:

Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Hello Everybody,

Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.

agp
010205

They are most likely fruit flies...

The best control is to eliminate whatever is attracting them.

Clean out your compost bucket daily and make sure it has a tight fitting
lid, and keep all your fresh fruit in the refrigerator.

I make fruit fly traps with a wine bottle. Mix about 1 inch of wine and
1 inch of any type of fruit juice in the bottom of the bottle, stick it
in a corner somewhere out of the way and forget about it until it needs
re-filling. The flies go into the bottle after the juice and drown.

I have a pet cockatoo I feed citrus fruit to so this creates a mild
problem. The traps work well to keep them under control.

Hope this helps?!?!? :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...