Old 02-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Aria" wrote in message
news:SBVBd.42618$Cl3.9851@fed1read03...
Does anyone have a recommendation of a tree that does not have an

extensive
root system? I live in area 11 or 12 I believe. That's the Sonora Desert.

would love a tree in my yard but need something that won't encroach on my
swimming pool and block wall. Thanks in advance.

Aria

You would do well looking at some native genera, as their suitability in
arid climates generally precludes having aggressive or water-seeking root
systems. Cercidium or palos verde and acacias come to mind, as do any number
of palms, which tend to have very small root systems given their size. An
olive tree would make a very appropriate and attractive evergreen light
shade presence.

pam - gardengal