Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Mike Prager

Wishy13764 wrote:

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

Depends on the climate zone. But in general, in suitable
locations, it will probably bloom, but not much, if it gets
only morning sun. Also, most cultivars of crape myrtle are
susceptible to powdery mildew, which is much worse where they
don't get full sun.

Many plants that are listed as "full sun" do well in part
shade or part sun in (say) U.S. zone 8. Crape myrtle is not
one of them.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)