Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 PM
David Ross

Aria wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation of a tree that does not have an extensive
root system? I live in area 11 or 12 I believe. That's the Sonora Desert. I
would love a tree in my yard but need something that won't encroach on my
swimming pool and block wall. Thanks in advance.

Whatever tree you select, be sure to start it off with deep
watering. Even the best trees will develop water-seeking surface
roots if they are not deep watered.

You might circle the tree with 4-6 watering pipes. Take 4-foot
lengths of plastic sewer pipe about 3 inches in diameter. Drill a
circle of 1/4-inch holes around the pipe about 2 inches from one
end. Use a post-hole auger to dig holes 4 feet deep about 3 feet
from the tree. Place a piece of pipe in each hole with the drilled
holes at the bottom. Fit plastic grates at the tops of the pipes.

Water the tree by letting a hose run slowly into each pipe. After
the first year, water the tree this way only once a month.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.