Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 PM

Dimilin affects nearly all creatures with chitin exoskeleton. It has an unusually
persistent activity for at least a month. It is also potent in that extremely small
amounts were all that was needed to eradicate targeted species. A couple years ago
dimilin was tightly controlled, as I understand it, to prevent dimilin from being
dumped into streams, rivers and lakes which would kill off important parts of the
food chain.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...ubenzuron.html

"4. SUMMARY OF REGULATORY POSITION AND RATIONALE
- The Agency has determined that it should continue to allow the
registration of diflubenzuron. However, because of gaps in the data
base, additional data are required as specified in the tables.
Additional tolerances and label changes will be considered as
applications are submitted.
- Because of toxicity to crab, shrimp, and other aquatic invertebrate
animals, diflubenzuron is classified as a restricted pesticide for
use on forests and field crops. Cautionary statements are required
on the label warning of hazards to aquatic invertebrates.
- The only geographic limitation for use of products containing
diflubenzuron is for control of mosquitoes in temporarily flooded
areas of pastures in central California. The primary concern with
these mosquitoes breeding in wastewater from irrigation projects is
their potential for carrying diseases affecting humans."

At some point whoever decides these things decided to allow manufacturers to use
dimilin in pond treatments. The first commercially available product for ponders
that we knew had dimilin (and we immediately advised people at the time) was Anchors
Away when they changed their formula from whatever to dimilin (but by the generic
name). Now there are others offering products and the price is coming down.

"For years, pondkeepers have known the benefits of Dimilin in solving their Anchor
Worm Fish Lice problems, but until now Dimilin hasn't legally have been available for
this use. Now Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, under an exclusive licensing agreement with
The Crompton Corporation, (the manufacturers & owners of Dimilin) is excited to bring
Dimilin to the pond market in an easy to use liquid form. No longer will fish owners
have to use unregistered and illegal forms of diflubenzuron in questionable
strength."
http://www.pondliner.com/Dimilin.htm

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List