Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Stinus Stinus is offline
Registered User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris Cohen
Aerophyte is essentially a synonym for epiphyte, which is what Platycerium is.
I wouldn't call it a class, since class has another meaning in biology. Being
an epiphyte is one way that plants grow.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
First of all, forgive me my bad English because I'm flemmish...

There was a 'little' discussion about the meaning of epiphytes and aerophytes.

Well,
epiphytes and aerophytes are both life-form sytems that were added to the Raunkiaer life-form system which was incomplete...
Epiphytes are plants which grow on other plants.
Aerophytes can also grow on other plants, but it's also possible that they grow on electric wires, stones (like litiphytic lichens) and so on. A used definition of aerophytes is: plants with perennating buds above ground surface with an atrophic system (not fixed to soil). Most of the aerophytes are perennial herbaceous.