Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Ann

"B & J" expounded:

Be sure you take along a shovel, a pick ax, a crow bar, and an ax when you
go to dig the grass. I dug up a three year old clump of Zebra grass
(Miscanthus sinesis 'Zebrinus' - Zone 5) a year ago last spring, and the
process took almost an hour and a half. Over a third of the time was spent
getting the clump out of the ground with the rest of the time devoted to
chopping the clump apart and potting the separated sections.

We had a very hard winter last year, the Miscanthus sinensis I had out
by the driveway died....thankfully. There was no way I was ever going
to get it out of the ground short of a backhoe! I still needed a
mattocks to get rid of the straggler roots that survived, but it's
finally gone. Don't put one of these clumps where it'll block vision,
you'll be hard pressed to move it!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA