Old 03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Michi Henning

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

Whew, you just know that I had to read that more than once for it to sink
in, thanks for the lessons Michi!!

One last question (well maybe), since CO2 and O2 have a different
enthalpy of dissolution as a function of temperature, can I take that to
mean that as water gets warmer, then the point of equilibrium for CO2
will drop more quickly than O2? (making it more difficult to keep
elevated CO2 levels in warmer water tanks (80F+)).

In general, as temperature goes up, less of a gas can dissolve into
a given volume of water. That's true for all gases. Because CO2
has a larger enthalpy of dissolution than O2, the solubility of CO2
changes more quickly as a function of temperature than the solubility
of O2. So, yes, as temperature goes up, you'll be able to put relatively
less CO2 into the water than at lower temperature. But I think the overall
effect of the higher temperature is more significant than this shift in the
balance between O2 and CO2. Getting CO2 into an 80F+ tank is harder
mainly because the warmer water dissolves less of any gas.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700