Old 03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Repotting Phalaenopsis

Hello all,

I'm a dedicated lurker. Some weeks ago, several of you were kind
enough to answer a question about greenhouses. Now, I'm back with another
question. I'm not an orchid grower. Well, not until last weekend, anyway.
Over the holidays I dropped in at Sander's Nursery in Camarillo,
California, just to look around. That was Friday, New Year's Eve. Sunday, I
dropped back in and bought my first orchid. It is a phalaenopsis with the
patent name Newberry Parfait "Picotee."
The plant looks very healthy. It has a flower spike with one open
flower, and several more coming.
My question is, should I repot it now or wait until it finishes
blooming? I put the pot (typical plastic thingy they are sold in, this one
is four inches) in a catch tray and poured a cup over water over the medium.
The water ran through almost immediately.
What I've read so far is that phalaenopsis is sensitive to overwatering,
so I want to be careful about that. Experience with other flowers and plants
is that repotting can be traumatic, and I don't want to stress the plant.
Your suggestions are invited.

Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and Photographer