Old 03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Cereus-validus...

Blame it on the flu season. I'm a bit phlegmish myself right now with a
really bad cough and should be resting in bed.

"Stinus" wrote in message

Iris Cohen Wrote:
Aerophyte is essentially a synonym for epiphyte, which is what
Platycerium is.
I wouldn't call it a class, since class has another meaning in biology.
Being
an epiphyte is one way that plants grow.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

First of all, forgive me my bad English because I'm flemmish...

There was a 'little' discussion about the meaning of epiphytes and
aerophytes.

Well,
epiphytes and aerophytes are both life-form sytems that were added to
the Raunkiaer life-form system which was incomplete...
Epiphytes are plants which grow on other plants.
Aerophytes can also grow on other plants, but it's also possible that
they grow on electric wires, stones (like litiphytic lichens) and so
on. A used definition of aerophytes is: plants with perennating buds
above ground surface with an atrophic system (not fixed to soil). Most
of the aerophytes are perennial herbaceous.

--
Stinus