Old 04-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Steve Danhof

Default Help Whats wrong with this plant???

I just started keeping fish after about a 10 year
hiatus. The 20 gallon tank, fish and plant are all about a week and a half
old and have began cycling well. The fish are showing no ill effects.

PH is 8.0 (perfect for the 2 cichlids I have in it)
Ammonia is coming down (currently at approx 2.0 PPM)
Nitrites are of course rising now (.25 ppm).

Anyway, that's the good part, my problem starts in that I have never raised
live plants before. I put one in the tank as a starting point until I can
learn more and it seems as though there is a great deal more I need to
learn, the plant is turning strange colors. The tank has a 15 Watt
flourescent full spectrum aquarium light and a temp of 75 Degrees. I have
been "feeding" the plant once a week with a product called "Leaf Zone" by
aquarium pharmaceuticals, INC.. Since I am color blind I cannot really
describe what the plant looks like but they say a picture is worth a
thousand words so hopefully these pictures will help.

Higher res pics available at http://home.comcast.net/~shdanhof/PlantPics.htm

Anyone have any ideas what could be done to save this plant?

Thanks for your help,
-Steve