Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 PM
San Diego Joe

"Richard Holub" wrote:

snip

Now for my problem question???

1.) I have 4 koi that grew in four months from 4" to 8" in my 55 gal. fish
tank. Water quality was good (Amonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-40). The last 5
or 6 times I cleaned the filter every other day because the water return
(circulation) was being blocked by sediment. Apparently the water quality
was being maintained by the bacteria in the bottom gravel since there was no
filter circulation (fish survived due to good aeration).

Hi Rich,

That's just way too much fish for that size tank. Others will chime in here,
but (and let's not start a flame war here) a "rule of thumb" is to have 1000
gallons for the first Koi and 100 gallons per Koi after that. Clearly, since
they were small, your filtration kept them going, but they are going to get
much bigger.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.