Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 PM
joedoe

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:15:49 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:47:29 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

Digging out my Strawberry barrel i found what look exactly like huge Wasps

Are they Queen wasps in hibernation or would they be young immature Bumble
Bees

If they are queen wasps then i will get rid

SNIP
wasps feed their grubs with insects.

Whichever they are, both are beneficial so leave them be.

Good advice.
I had the common antagonism towards wasps until the day when when I
noticed some flying to my patch of cabbages , sprouts, broccoli etc
which were infested with caterpillars. The wasps settled on each
caterpillar, gripped it and flew off with it. Presumably to enjoy a
good meal.

Since then I have been an advocate for 'leave the wasp alone' .