Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

But the reason I thought of using ZEOLITE is because of its immediate
(???????) action in absorbing amonia. I don't know if the fish would
survive 6-8 wks for the filter to get going.

Rich

Hi Rich,

You know I got nailed for this about 2 years ago, so I'll be more tackful.

Treat the Ammonia with an ammo-lock (Amquell) product. This will de-tox the
ammonia yet make it accessible to the bacteria to feed and grow on. Next
treat Nitrite with 0.1% salt. Do a 20% water change only as nitrate
readings show you should (about every 3-5 days now) and 1/week thereafter.
Let nitrate be your guide. Do not feed the fish until the water chemistry
is correct. Do not do water changes without treating the ammonia, a higher
pH in the water change can make the ammonia more toxic.

Like Ingrid, I'm running my 55 with no gravel on the bottom and have let
all but the front glass get algae coated. 4 large fantails, I do a water
change only 2/month. When I started up this tank, with a brand new Fluval
440, I brought in 1 fish/week and didn't feed for a total of 6 weeks. A
little fasting is good for these fish, especially roe filled females. I
added Amquell periodically with small water changes, and never did get an
ammonia reading or nitrite spike. I had others check my water parameters
just to make sure my tests were reading right. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a