Old 04-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Broadback

Douglas wrote:

joedoe Wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:15:49 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Since then I have been an advocate for 'leave the wasp alone' .

I have always left wasps alone to the extent of letting them land on me
and have a walk about.

The only 2 times I have been stung were both my own fault.
The first time, one landed on me and I hadn't noticed, so it stung me
in self defence when I moved in a way it perceived to be threatening.
The second one was similar, but it had climbed up my t- shirt.

Never have I come across (been stung by I mean) the more aggressive
species which appears later on in the summer and, according to everyone
else, stings for no apparent reason.

Although they may be Queen wasps, have you also considered that there
are different types of Hoverfly and moth which look like them and
probably very well are hibernating?

Things like the Hornet moth, etc.
I think Clearwings are too small though.

Where abouts in the country do you live??
Having never actually seen a Hornet moth, I cannot really comment much,
but they are much more yellower.

I am aware that hoverflies generally are much smaller and slender, and
they have compound eyes too, 'cos they are flies after all, so they can
instantly be differentiated.

Many non harmful things are black and yellow and can be classed into
different groups.
Take a look at the antenae for example.

Rant:
(No offence or anything, but I hate it when people needlessly kill
insects and I don't have much time for people who are 'scared' of
them... and then kill them needlessly. Instead, just think of them as
being the most extraordinary feats of inginuity and micro engineering.
When you have seen the likes of a Hummingbird Harkmoth feeding at a
flower, it darting and hovering there like a hummingbird, its proboscis
extending 2 or 3 inches straight out in front of it so it can reach the
pollen, and you can hear the wings drone and flap quite clearly from a
distance away, before it bumbles away off again, - then you will know
what I mean (apply relevant species where needed).
/Rant

Doug - knows more about insects than flowers, but currently cannot
remember many exact details off the top of his head........ (don't you
just hate it when that happens?).
I'm a relative beginner at this gardening malarky.

You'll find me out in the spring to Autumn running after beasts and
examining plants and trees by day, and by night, I'll be there with my
light trap.

I need to find out more about what different plants there are so that
it can help me when trying to find particular foodplants.

It all interconnects eventually.

Sorry, enough drivel.

All this is very true, but sadly nature does not provide a natural
balance at all times. Last autumn I was in infested by wasps, and they
literally stripped one (small) apple tree of almost mature apples, had a
good 60% of my peaches and 99% of a good crop of plums. However I also
believe that nature will tend to defeat you one way or another whatever
you do. Just keep struggling, and remember we are part of nature too.