Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Kay

In article ,
writes
I heard it on the BBC 1 news at 6 pm today. Obviously it was never
implemented ;-)

The only thing I could find on the BBC web site that is remotely
related is

"An 18-year dispute on toilet paper draws the attention of the
Guardian and the Telegraph, thanks to the new Act.

The row over whether to use soft or hard paper within the Civil
Service was sparked in 1963 and only resolved in 1981, the papers say.

Ouch! I remember hard toilet paper! I put it down to the civil service
of the time being largely male in the higher echelons. Women have a
greater need for soft paper.

The Telegraph says it started with an ambassador with a case of
haemorrhoids.

The Guardian points out that the soft variety won out as the harder
option was flushed down the U-bend of history."

--
Kay