Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sean Houtman
writes
From: (Aozotorp)

Would like to try growing some Sting Nettle next year! But have had some
people come into my yard to pull some of my flowers! So, just how bad would
this plant be to idiots who come into the yard to pull flowers?

It isn't dangerous, but painful if you touch it with your skin. The pain starts
fairly quickly, but not quite immediatly. I made the mistake of wading through
a patch of Urtica gracilis in order to take pictures of a really nice stand of
Mertensia ciliata a couple of years ago. I was wearing shorts, and the stinging
lasted about an hour.

Sean

Urtica dioica is probably worse. When I've been stung while weeding the
inflammation last considerably longer than an hour (nearer a day). I've
been stung through clothes as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley