Old 04-01-2005, 03:45 AM
Rob Halgren

Brian Corll wrote:

I am using a commercial mix of bark, charcoal, and lava rock. I think
watering twice a week is optimal, but perhaps I need to check the bottom of
the potting
medium to see how wet it is. I just had one plant with new shoots that
basically fell over. I suspect root rot there.

Yeah, I'd do that. I can't imagine any conditions that would
require watering catts twice a week (at least in the winter) in that
type of mix, unless it were substantially more rock and charcoal than
bark. Your mileage may vary, if you had insanely low humidity and
really bright light, maybe twice a week is right. Might be easier to
increase the humidity and lower the light levels a bit though.

Many potting mixes look very dry on top, and are quite wet on the
bottom. Bigger pots (anything over 5" is big to me...) especially. Try
sticking a freshly sharpened pencil deep into the pot, leaving it there
for a few minutes and pulling it out. Another good experiment is (when
you are repotting anyway, spring is coming up), pull the plant out of
the pot instead of watering it. Examine both the bark and the roots.
Also remember that any mix with bark (or any other plant based material)
in it will behave differently as it ages. Old bark holds a lot more
water than fresh bark.

Happy gnu deer, everybody!

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )