Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Tex John

Happens to all (or most) of us sooner or later.

Two points:

1) Find a nice retired gent to build you an 18" cube plywood box with
cut-outs for your hands to grab it by. Only 5 sides of course. Then, sit,
lift a bit, grab, and scoot sideways. In that case, if you are like me and
it is past a certain point where they start hurting, the two of you could
measure how far you can lower your bum without your knees hurting and then
custom build it to just the right height.

But that means your back hurts less than your knees which isn't always true
for me. In that case:

2) Start raising your beds -- seriously. I even have an old gardening book
around here that was showing a food-type gardening method someone paid for
when she was just too old to bend over at all but refused to give up her
garden: 4' wide by x' long by 3' high and they were BRICKED up that high!
Even in black and white it was a very impressive looking garden. They noted
the same idea could apply to someone in a wheel chair, too...just not the
full 4' wide if the person couldn't bend over that far. I'm not that bad
off, but I do have most of my bigger pots raised one way or other (on a
bench, shelf or even just an old cinder block).

Course I had a great-aunt that had one knee replaced probably 15 years ago.
She was so happy that it quit hurting she got the other one done, too :)

John

"Mindy Wallace" wrote in message
My knees have just about had it as far as gardening or seriously
cleaning any type of floor. What does everybody do to cut down on the
strain? Do you kneel on something, or squat, or use a short stool?
TIA
Mindy