Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 5/1/05 23:28, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes

snip

No- you still talk about 'un porc' in french.

What is the english translation of that? Is it 'pig' or 'pork'?

A pig in French is "un cochon" and the dictionary gives "un porc" too. I've
never heard the latter used to describe a pig but only to describe the meat
as in "cotelette de porc" for example.

Taken with your other post, it suggests either the Normans were using
'un porc' for the pig and we picked up it up for the meat, and that
French moved on to 'cochon' later, or that the normans used 'porc' for
the meat only. Either way around fits into the pattern.

What about 'poultry'? Am I right in thinking it's derived from 'poulet'?
--
Kay