Old 07-01-2005, 02:13 AM
rjwhite6

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:58:44 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Bill Moats" wrote in message
Burbank Russet, also known as Idaho Netted Gem. The most commonly grown spud
in the U.S.

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message
What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never
identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Thanks! And there's a problem if I just put eyes from a store-bought Idaho in
the ground?

As another poster mentioned, store bought potatoes may be treated with
sprout inhibitors. My experience is that they will sprout, they just
take longer.

Common wisdom also says that store bought potatoes tend to be
diseased, so to not plant them in your garden.
If you plant the potatoes in acidic soil it will inhibit a lot of the
diseases such as scab. I have planted store bought potatoes in 12
inch pots of peat mix with great results.

I would not discourage anyone from buying certified seed though.
I usually do buy certified seed potatoes.

If I am at a garden center that has seed potatoes, I like to pick out
the small ones because I can plant them whole, rather than cutting
them. This can help avoid them rotting when planted.
btw these smaller seed potatoes (of Idaho varieties) will produce
normal sized potatoes at harvest.