Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Sylvan Butler

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:
What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never identify

Usually a russet, typically russet burbank.
http://radio.boisestate.edu/informat...o/russets.html

Several other varieties (other russets, norkotah (?sp), ...) have been
and are being tried, but none are as popular.

Probably you would be happy with any of the dry, starchy "baking"
potatoes, and some other variety may be better for your climate, soil
and other growing conditions. You should check with a local university
extension office and ask about which "baking" potato does best in your
area.

(The other kinds of potato other than baking are sort of waxy/oily
instead of getting fluffy when baked.)

The reason you'll seldom see a seed catalog identify an "Idaho Potato"
is because Idaho is quite protective of that name. Legally only a
potato grown in Idaho can be identified as an Idaho Potato.

My grandfather made a living growing the "Idaho Potato" both as food and
as seed potatoes for many years. Last summer was the first year my
uncle did not grow potatoes. No more free, fresh potatoes with a known
history for me. Somehow alfalfa just isn't as appealing.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com