Old 04-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Stephen Henning

Otto Pylot wrote:

We had an outdoor pond installed last July. About 1100 gallons with a 5
foot waterfall meandering down a 6 foot stream. Biological filters
(including lava rocks) with an autofill valve. We have 5 Shibukin gold
fish (with countless mosquito fish as well!) so far and plan on putting
in some Koi this summer. We treat it every two weeks with Pond-Zyme
Plus and it has stayed crystal clear until the rains came. We've had a
lot of rain here in Northern California the last few weeks and now
there is a lot of string algae growing. Nothing is on the rocks where
waterfall is only in the pond itself. Water is flowing smoothly and the
fileters are looking good. Is this normal for the weather condition and
will the string algae go away or do we need to do anything now? This is
our first winter season so we're not sure what to do and we'd hate to
put in any chemicals that would harm the fish or make the pond
chemically dependent. Thanks.

The biological filters are key to removing the nutrients that are
feeding the algae. The rain is also a lack of sun light and lower
temperatures. With less light and lower temperatures, you need more bio
mass to remove the nutrients from the water. You can start by reducing
the amount you are feeding the fish until the water clears up. You can
use more plants. You have an early warning that your pond was on the
edge and needs better management.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman