Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Craig Cowing

Dali wrote:

Hello,

Before Christmas I got a Jade bonsai and it was cared for, for a couple
weeks. The plant was watered every second or third day. I'm not sure
what happened but now it looks like it's dying. I transplaneted it into
the pot a week ago and it's gotten even worst. Can it be saved? What
should I do?

Thanks one again,
Dali

Dali:
Don't water it that often. This is probably one of two plants, Portulacaria afra
(small leaves, about 1/2 inch across, bright green, reddish brown "bark'" or
Crassula argentea, with darker green leaves ranging in size from 1 inch to 1.5
inches, and grayish "bark". Both of these are succulents, which means they store
water in the leaves and branches and trunks. Too much water will cause root rot
and death. Again, don't water it so much. If it is the first I mentioned you
shouldn't water it more than once every two weeks. If it is a jade tree with the
larger leaves, once a month during the winter is sufficient.

If the base of the plant is already shrivelled and mushy, you could cut off the
live parts, let them sit on a window ledge for a few days, and stick them in dry
potting soil. They will root on their own. Don't water until you see new growth.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++