Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Warren

Dee wrote:
In my house-hunting, I am finding that a good proportion of them have
in-
ground pools. I am not a pool person and have been rejecting these
listings out-of-hand.

But the idea occurred to me that it might be possible to convert a
pool
into a vegetable garden. Pools are usually in full sun and close to
the
house, so the site would be good. I'm thinking the floor of the pool
could
be busted up to insure drainage and the walls could be left as is. It
could then be filled with subsoil or whatever, with the last 3 or 4
feet
being a mixture of composted horse manure, top soil, peat moss, and
other
yummies.

Has anybody tried this? Any pros or cons I am not seeing here?

Well, you instantly lower the resale value of your home. As much as I
love a good garden, an in-ground pool is worth much more on the market.
If you stay in your house for 30 years, it may not matter much, but if
you're going to sell in just a few years, that could make it one mighty
expensive garden without even counting the cost of building it.

It's also a pretty big deal filling in the hole in a way that it's not
going to settle dangerously. More is involved than simply dumping fill
in the hole. You're also going to have plumbing issues with the fill
mechanism and the drain. There will need to be permits taken out...
let's just say it's a big, expensive deal.

So you're talking about an expensive deal to fill in the pool. Then
you're talking about lowering the value of your home. You'll be burning
quite a bit of money to do this. I don't know where you are, but it's
hard to imagine a real estate market so tight that the agent you're
working with can't find you something better suited that doesn't involve
wasting so much money.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Compare the newest tax preparation software apps:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html